Hello everyone. I hope you all are well today. It seems like everyone here is finally over this nasty virus that was going around. My husband and youngest were terribly miserable with it. They barely wanted to eat a thing, which for them is extremely out of ordinary. Well, now that everyone is feeling up to something more than plain told nothing fancy soup I can start cooking more for them again.
Yesterday my oldest asked for a toasted cheese sandwich for lunch so I obliged. However, I didn’t want to give him a boring old toasted cheese, sorry plain toasted cheese, mostly because I was sick of so much bland food these past few weeks. So I dug around to see what I could add to the sandwich, and to decide if I thought my son, Little A would actually like it.
Now, in our house you have to eat what you are given regardless if you kind of sorta don’t like that food today. We don’t force them to eat it all but if they don’t finish they don’t get their after meal snack/desert so It isn’t like it would go to waste if he decided it had something on it he didn’t like. I just don’t go out of my way to make a food I know my son won’t enjoy eating.
After digging around and weighing my options for awhile I decided on some left over avocado I had in the fridge from making some awesome salads. I also decided on adding some sort of meat to it. We had some left over chicken also from our salads, and some pepperoni left over from our experiment with pizza stuffed waffles. (What a Mess.) I decided to try paring the pepperoni with the avocado, and add some seasoning to the toasted side of the bread.
If I may say so myself it was pretty darn delicious. Both my sons agreed wholeheartedly after downing their sandwich(s). My oldest asked what was in them so I told him Pepperoni, avocado, and cheese, and he repeated but in a way that sounds like peppacado so I decided to stick with that name. Thus, his new favorite sandwich, The PeppAcado toasted cheese was born.
If you are interested on the specifics on how to make your own Toasted PeppAcado and Cheese Sandwich below is the recipe.
The Toasted PeppAcado
and Cheese Sandwhich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3-5 minutes
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 3 thinly sliced pieces of Colby jack cheese
- 4-5 baby spinach leaves
- 4-8 slices of pepperoni
- 2-4 slices of avocado
- 2 pads of butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- a pinch or two of dried basil leaves
- a pinch or two of garlic powder
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- Collect all your ingredients near a cutting board, and slice the cheese, avocado, and butter.
- Meanwhile heat your pan up to about medium heat.
- Place one of the sliced pads of butter in the pan until it melts completely and add the spices.
- Put one slice of bread in pan and slide it around in the butter to fully coat the bread.
- Then place a slice of cheese or two, the avocado slices, spinach leaves, pepperoni, and then another one to two slices of cheese on the bread in the pan.
- Cook until the bread is golden brown and toasted.
- Next remove the bread and add another pad of butter and let it melt and sprinkle in the spices.
- Then place the second slice of bread on the sandwich and lay the whole sandwich non-toasted side down in the pan until it is toasted as well.
- Remove from heat and let sit to cool a bit before eating. This also lets the cheese to melt some more.
If you try out this recipe let us know what you think in the comments section below.
The Momnipresent Mother